Spring is here! Nature is getting ready to wear its best costume, the air is starting to change and we are getting ready to welcome a new fresh season. We feel the need for regeneration and we want change ourselves, our clothes, our daily routines and our surroundings. So, ladies, it’s time to Spring clean our house!
If you are feeling a little overwhelmed by the idea of Spring cleaning, here are some tips to help you organize your work and make everything easier and quicker.
1. Work from top to bottom
You should always start your cleaning from the top of the room and work your way down. This will save you time and effort. Otherwise you will find yourself cleaning the same surface over and over again. Just think about it! If you clean the floor first, all the dirt and dust that is settled on the furniture, will land on the floor when you clean them. So, you will have to clean the floor again.
2. Divide and conquer!
Every project becomes easier if you break it into smaller projects. You may have experienced this at your work, but it also applies in cleaning your house. Clean one room at a time. Once you have completed the cleaning of a specific room, move to the next. Otherwise you will find yourself running around, you will get exhausted and you will not get the desirable results. Moreover, if you don’t have enough time to clean your house in one day, it’s easier to squeeze in your busy schedule the cleaning of one room each day.
3. Use a cleaning path
Just take a look at the room you want to clean and set a starting point. For instance, the entering door. Start your cleaning from that point and work around the room clockwise, until you have cleaned everything. So, you will be confident that you didn’t miss a spot.
4. Prepare before you start
Always gather everything you need for your cleaning routine, before starting. All the brushes, the cleaning clothes, the detergents, etc. Collect them in the room you are going to clean, so that you don’t have to go back and forth in the middle of your cleaning routine. You can find other helpful tips here as well.
Here is a general cleaning routine, that you can use in every room, step by step, in order to organize your spring cleaning:
– Start by removing the cobwebs from the ceiling corners. You can use your vacuum cleaner.
– Wipe the walls to remove stains, if there are any, especially in the kitchen, clean the ceiling lights and chandeliers, dust the frames hanging on the walls and clean the light switches.
– Remove and clean appropriately all curtains, shades, blinds. Some curtains may be washed in the washing machine, but others need professional cleaning. If you are not sure what to do, it’s better to give them for professional cleaning.
– Clean fully the windows, inside out. Clean the screens, the frames, the trucks.
– Clean the doors and the doorknobs.
– Dust all furniture and all the decorative items on them. Take good care of the wooden pieces of furniture, use a specialized cleaning product. Also, you can find many products that will help you cover any marks and scratches on your furniture. Vacuum all pillows and upholstery surfaces that you are not allowed to wash or clean in any other way.
– Declutter your drawers, cabinets, closets. Get rid of things you are not using or things that are broken and can’t be fixed.
– Move aside all furniture and clean underneath. Clean your carpets and floor.
– Clean and store appropriately all seasonal decorations, winter throws, heavy beddings, winter clothes, etc.
You need to perform some additional tasks in your bedrooms:
– Wash all your linen.
– Remove and wash the protective mattress pad and turn over the mattress.
– Wash your pillow protective covers and the pillows.
Also, some special tasks are needed in your kitchen:
– Clean thoroughly the refrigerator inside out.
– Clean the stove inside out.
– Clean all your appliances (dishwasher, microwave oven, etc.)
– Clean your cabinets, inside out and don’t forget the top of them.
– Check the expiration dates on the food products you have stored.
– Clean any stains on the kitchen counter or on the walls. Always make sure that the cleaning product you are going to use is suitable for the specific surface.
As for your bathroom, you have to take care of the following:
– Declutter all your cabinets and drawers. Check the expiration dates on your cosmetics and your medicines.
– Update your first aid kit.
– Clean your shower / bathtub.
– Wash the shower curtain.
– Clean the toilet thoroughly inside out.
– Clean the sink, all the mirrors and the cabinets.
– Clean the laundry baskets.
– Clean thoroughly every corner, all tiles, tile grouts and floor. Now it’s the time to deal with any persistent water stain you have been avoiding, or even mold stains that are hidden under your sink or behind your toilet.
You can download your SPRING CLEANING CHECKLIST for FREE here.
Once you have finished Spring cleaning, don’t forget to add some Spring touches in your house. A floral throw, or a pair of flower-patterned pillows, a bouquet of flowers or, even better, a couple of plant pots with blossomed flowers! I just love flowers! So, let’s welcome Spring!